Dukes Place
Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About

Dukes Place
West Peckham, Kent, England

Dukes Place

Before the conquest, West Peckham Manor (alias Little Peckham) was in the possession of Earl Leofwine, who along with his brother King Harold, lost their lives in the fatal battle of Hastings. After which, William the Conqueror gave it to Odo, bishop of Baieux, his half brother, whom he likewise made Earl of Kent, under the general title of whose lands it is thus entered in the survey of Domeday, taken about the year 1080."

In about 1330, the manor of West Peckham was divided into two moieties (equal shares), one of which came into the possession of Lionel, Duke of Clarence, the third son of King Edward III. Circa 1370, the manor passed to the Culpepers of Oxen Hoath and remained in their possession until 1408 when Sir John Culpeper7a gave it to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem who founded a preceptory or commandery. Their commandery at West Peckham was a house which is now known as Dukes Place. (Hasted's Kent, Vol. V, pp 56-60)

Previously on this page, based on a notation on the pen and ink drawing at the right, we had mistakenly identified Dukes Place as formerly being known as Swanton Court. This claim was incorrect and Swanton Court, which has not been located by Culpepper Connections, was in the adjacent parish of Mereworth.

Dukes Place, March 2000
Duke's Place, March 2000. Photo taken from the rear by Warren Culpepper (Front view blocked by shrubbery and gate)

Swanton Court, now known as Duke's Place
Duke's Place
Drawing of 19th Century  appearance

Location: 12 miles NNW of Goudhurst, and 8 miles WSW of Maidstone. On Mereworth road, 1/2 mile west of the B2016.

National Grid Coordinates: TQ 648 527

Also See: West Peckham, Hadlow, Wrotham, Oxen Hoath, Mereworth and Old Soar

Last Revised: 02 Jan 2015


 Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About

Culpepper Connections! The Culpepper Family History Site