Georgetown District was created in 1769 from Craven Co. In 1785, Georgetown was divided into four counties: Kingston, Liberty, Williamsburg and Winyaw. In the 1790 census, Georgetown District was divided up by the parishes of Prince George, Prince Frederick and All Saints. The four counties never became functional and were abolished in 1798. In 1798, Marion District was formed from Georgetown District, taking the entire county of Liberty. In the 1800 census, Georgetown District was divided up by the remaining three (but now abolished) counties: Kingston, Williamsburg and Winyaw.