Saint Stephens, Kent
Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About

St. Stephens
Kent, England

St. Stephens Place

In 1527, Archbishop Langton made his brother Archdeacon of Canterbury and built for him a residence at Hackington. At the Reformation, it fell into the hands of the Crown. In 1562, Elizabeth gave it to Sir Roger Manwood, who rebuilt it. In 1642 Manwood sold it to Col. Thomas Culpeper13b (afterwards knighted, the fifth son of Anthony Culpeper of Bedgebury12b) who resided here, died in 1643 and was buried in the church. In a deed of 1643, it is called St. Stephens House. It descended to his son Thomas Culpeper14b  who had a wild and curious career. Thomas14b secretly married a daughter of Lord Frecheville of Stavely in Derbyshire and became involved in litigation regarding estates of his wife, the sale of which he opposed. His legal expenses obliged Culpeper to sell his house and estates to Sir John Hales of Tunstall, in 1675, who pulled the house down and rebuilt it. The current dwelling is called Hales Place.

National Grid Coordinates: TR 152 592

St. Stephen's Church

St. Stephens Church, Canterbury, KentThe church is in what was once the village of Hackington, now formed into part of the general city of Canterbury. The area is better known these days just as St Stephen’s, Canterbury.
   The church was built around 1050 AD, with the tower about a hundred years later and the transepts in the 16th century. The transepts were the work of one Sir Roger Manwood, a Judge and Chief Baron of the Exchequer in the reign of Elizabeth I. He founded the grammar school in Sandwich which bears his name. He was a great benefactor to the church, resident in the parish, and has an impressive tomb in the south transept. He and his family members are all buried within a vault underneath.
   Another famous family connected with the parish include the Hales (from Tunstall). They are not buried at the church, but gave a clock (still extant). Their burial place is in a small (Catholic) chapel nearby.

National Grid Coordinates: TR 148 592

St. Stephens (aka Hackington), Canterbury, Kent

Location: On north side of Canterbury, 30 miles NE of Goudhurst and 25 miles E of Maidstone.
National Grid Coordinates (Canterbury): TR 150 580

1831 Topographical Dictionary:
HACKINGTON, otherwise ST. STEPHEN'S, a parish in the hundred of WESTGATE, lathe of ST. AUGUSTINE, county of KENT, 1¼ mile (N.) from Canterbury, containing 349 inhabitants. The church is dedicated to St. Stephen. In the church-yard, in 1187, Baldwin, Archbishop of Canterbury, began a chapel in honour of St. Stephen and St. Thomas of Canterbury, wherein he proposed to found a noble college for forty secular priests, the king and all his suffragan bishops to have a prebend, each worth forty marks a year; but the year after he had settled some secular canons at the place, the pope, at the instance of the monks at Christ Church, ordered the chapel to be levelled with the ground. The bishop erected a chapel in honour of St. Thomas à Becket at the foot of St. Thomas' hill.

Last Revised: 02 Jan 2015


 Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About

Culpepper Connections! The Culpepper Family History Site