Frindsbury, Kent
Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About

Frindsbury, Kent, England


The Manor of Wainscot, alias Parlabiens-yoke, was anciently the estate of a family of the name of Parlabien during the reign of King Edward II (1307-1327). Soon afterwards, it came into possession of Culpepers of Aylesford (either Walter Culpeper4 or Sir Jeffrey Culpeper5) in which family it continued until Sir Thomas Culpeper15, at about the end of the reign of Queen Elizabeth (1558-1603), sold it to Edward Randolph.

Source: Hasted, History of Kent, Volume III, pages 538-539.

National Grid Coordinates: TQ 746 712

All Saints Church, Frindsbury, Kent, EnglandAll Saints Church, Frindsbury

Ancient Parish
Original registers from 1669

The Culpeper involvement at this church, if any, is currently unknown. More research is needed.

National Grid Coordinates: TQ 744 698


1831 Topographical Dictionary
FRINDSBURY, a parish in the hundred of SHAMWELL, lathe of AYLESFORD, county of KENT, 2 miles NW from Rochester, containing 1562 inhabitants. The church, dedicated to All Saints, stands on a commanding eminence rising from the Medway, along the course of which river, and over the town of Rochester, the view from the church-yard is extremely fine. The parish is bounded on the south and east by the Thames, and the Thames and Medway canal unites in it with the Medway, on the banks of which are several wharfs. Brick making is carried on to some extent, and chalk is found in the parish. Upnor castle, erected by Queen Elizabeth to defend the passage of the Medway, was for some time used as a powder magazine: it is surrounded by a moat, and consists of a central building, of an oblong form, connected with a round tower at each end.

National Grid Coordinates: TQ 744 700

Last Revised: 02 Jan 2015


 Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About

Culpepper Connections! The Culpepper Family History Site