St. Peter ad Vincula
Ancient Parish, with original
registers from 1663.
married at least two of her four husbands in this church (1692 and
1723). Further research is needed to see if there was a greater
Culpeper presence here.
Location: In East Malling
National Grid Coordinates: TQ 703 571
St. Peter's Church, Ditton, Kent
1831 Topographical Dictionary:
DITTON, a parish in the hundred of LARKFIELD, lathe of
AYLESFORD, county of KENT, 3½ miles NNW from
Maidstone, containing 192 inhabitants. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a
small building with a square tower at the west end.
Ditton Village Location: 13 miles N
National Grid Coordinates: TQ
Borough Court at
Ditton (also called Brooke Court) was part of the possessions of the Aylesford Culpepers early in the reign of Edward III (1327-1377).
Walter Culpeper4a owned it, and through his descendants it continued down to Richard Culpeper9a,
Esq., afterwards knighted of Oxen Hoath. Sir Richard had no
sons, and at his death in 1484, Bourough Court passed to Richard's
three daughters: (1) Margaret Culpeper, wife of William Cotton of Oxen Hoath; (2) Joyce Culpeper, wife of Edmund Lord Howard (one of their daughters was
Catherine Howard, fifth wife of
Henry VIII); and (3) Elizabeth Culpeper, wife of Henry Barham, Esq.
They sold it to Francis Shakerly of Shakerly, Kent. (Hasted's Kent,
Vol. IV, pp 457-458)
Location: Borough Manor still existed
as recently as 1924 when it appeared on a map to the north of the parish. May no longer exist.
Further research needed.
Ditton and Brampton Manors
William Clifford of
Bobbing sold during the reign of Henry V
(1413-1422) Sifletone, Ditton and Brampton Manor to Sir William Culpeper8a, son of Sir
John Culpeper7a of Oxen Hoath. At Sir William's death, it
passed to his son, Sir Richard Culpeper9a of Oxen Hoath.
Sir Richard had no sons, and at his death in 1484, Bourough Court and
Siflton Manor (see below) passed to Richard's three daughters (see
details under Borough Court, above). They, in the reign of King Henry
VII, joined in the sale of these manors to Thomas Leigh of Sibton in
Liminge. (Hasted's Kent, Vol. IV, pp 459-460, 539).
Location: Sifletone, Ditton, Brampton and
Snodbeane Manors unknown. May no longer exist.
06 Sep 2015