Appling County was created by Act of the Legislature from lands obtained in the Creek Indian Cession of 1814. The original county included all or portions of Bacon, Charlton, Clinch, Echols, Jeff Davis, Pierce, Ware, and Wayne Counties. On December 8, 1818 the Legislature provided funds to build the first courthouse on lands owned by Solomon Kennedy. The town of Holmesville grew up around the courthouse. This structure was destroyed by fire in the 1850's. In 1874 the county seat was moved to Baxley, Ga. Baxley was incorporated in 1875 and is named for Wilson Baxley, an early settler of the area. Baxley has been known as the "Turpentine Capital of the World". Other communities in Appling County are Surrency and Graham.