Otis Windburn Culpepper1
Male, #36947, (circa 1918 - 27 Aug 1944)
|Birth*||circa 1918 ||Otis was born at Cleveland Co., Arkansas, circa 1918.2,3 |
|1930 Census||1 Apr 1930 ||Johnnie and Otis was listed as a son in Robert H. Culpepper's household on the 1930 Census at Rison, Cleveland Co., Arkansas.2 |
|Death of Father||20 Nov 1934 ||His father Robert H. Culpepper died on 20 Nov 1934 at Rison, Cleveland Co., Arkansas.4,5 |
|Residence*||Oct 1943 ||Otis resided at Lauderdale Co., Mississippi, in Oct 1943.3 |
|World War II*||between 1943 and 1944 ||He enlisted in Camp Shelby, Attala Co., Mississippi, and served in World War II between 1943 and 1944|
(Private, U.S. Army, 314th Infantry Regiment, 79th Infantry Division. Killed in Action in France. Awarded Purple Heart. According to his niece, Patricia Pollock, Otis was a sharp shooter and was acting as a sniper in Patton's Third Army when at age 24 he was killed at the battle of St. Lo, France.)6,3,1
|Death*||27 Aug 1944 ||He died at Saint Lo, Manche, Lower Normandy, France, on 27 Aug 1944.6,1 |
|Burial*||circa Sep 1944 ||His body was interred circa Sep 1944 at Brittany American Cemetery, Saint James, Manche, Lower Normandy, France. Grave number: b 12 1.6,1,7 |
- American Battle Monuments Online Database, American Battle Monuments Commission, 2005.
Otis Windburn Culpepper, Mississippi, Private, 34875355, 314th Infantry, 79th Division, Died 27 Aug 1944, Buried at: Plot B Row 12 Grave 1, Brittany American Cemetery, St. James, France. Awards: Purple Heart Medal.
- 1930 Federal Census, United States.
ED13-12, Sheet 5-B, No street addresses, Rison, Cleveland Co., AR
Home owned, Value not shown, Radio=No, Farm=Yes
Robert H Culpepper, Head, M, 53, M, md@25, AR/MS/AL, Farmer, General Farming, Vet=No
Lula Culpepper, Wife, F, 51, M, md@23, AR/MS/GA, Not employed
John F Culpepper, Son, M, 15, S, AR/AR/AR
Otis W Culpepper, Son, M, 11, S, AR/AR/AR.
- National Archives and Records Administration, compiler, U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946, Online database at Ancestry.com, 2005.
Otis Culpepper, born 1918 in AR, White, Single, Education: Grammar School, Height/Wt: Unk; Resided in: Lauderdale Co., MS; Enlisted 23 Oct 1943 at Camp Shelby, MS (Drafted).
- Desmond Walls Allen, compiler, Arkansas Death Record Index, 1914-1923 and 1934-1940, Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1996-c1999, Repository: LDS Family History Library - Salt Lake City, Call No. US/CAN 976.7 V22ad....
- Arkansas Death Index Books, 1914 -- 1948.
has 19 Nov 1934.
- National WW-II Memorial Registry, National Parks Service, 2008.
Overseas American Cemeteries:
Otis Culpepper, 34875355, Private, Entered the Service from Mississippi
U.S. Army, 314th Infantry Regiment, 79th Infantry Division
Died Sunday, August 27, 1944 and buried at Brittany American Cemetery, B Row: 12 Grave: 1, St. James (Manche), France
Awarded Purple Heart.
- Quartermaster General’s Office, compiler, U.S. Rosters of World War II Dead, 1939-1945, Online database at Ancestry.com, 2007.
Name: Otis Culpepper
Cemetery Name: Saint James (Permanent Cemetery), Saint James, France
Grave number: b 12 1
Disposition: According to next of kin
Service Branch: Army
Service Number: 34875355.