Sebron Clifton Culpepper Jr., M.D.1

Male, #2773, (17 Mar 1900 - 14 Jun 1986)
Father*Sebron Clifton Culpepper M.D. (9 Apr 1869 - Sep 1930)
Mother*Elizabeth Clayton Gaddy (14 Jul 1879 - 9 Sep 1949)
Birth*17 Mar 1900 Sebron was born at Bond, Stone Co., Mississippi, on 17 Mar 1900. 
1900 Census1 Jun 1900 Sebron was listed as a son in Sebron Clifton Culpepper M.D.'s household on the 1900 Census at Harrison Co., Mississippi.2 
1910 Census15 Apr 1910 Sebron was listed as a son in Sebron Clifton Culpepper M.D.'s household on the 1910 Census at Bond, Harrison Co., Mississippi.3 
1920 Census1 Jan 1920 Sebron was listed as a son in Sebron Clifton Culpepper M.D.'s household on the 1920 Census at Wiggins, Stone Co., Mississippi.4 
Marriage*31 Dec 1923 He married Lucille Middleton Nason at Biloxi, Harrison Co., Mississippi, on 31 Dec 1923 at age 23.5 
1930 Census*1 Apr 1930 Sebron was listed as the head of a family on the 1930 Census at Honolulu, Honolulu Co., Hawaii.6 
Death of FatherSep 1930 His father Sebron Clifton Culpepper M.D. died in Sep 1930 at Wiggins, Stone Co., Mississippi
World War II*7 Dec 1941 He served in World War II in Honolulu, Honolulu Co., Hawaii, on 7 Dec 1941
A Physician in Hawaii During the Bombing of Pearl Harbor Reminiscences of December 7, 1941

(Originally published in the Hawaii Medical Journal, 1948 Nov-Dec; 8(2): 127-9.)

The attack on Pearl Harbor stands as one of the major turning points in Hawaii's history. With the attack, Hawaii's medical community became directly involved in the events that followed. Months before December 7th, 1941, the Hawaii Territorial Medical Association (HTMA) and the four county medical societies had set up Preparedness Committees to plan and prepare the Territory of Hawaii (hereafter referred to as the Territory) and the physicians in case the United States of America (USA) entered the war. When war came to the Territory, the physicians were ready and responded immediately to treat the injured.
     On February 19, 1943, I talked to Dr. S. Clifton Culpepper. Dr. Culpepper stated that on the morning of December 7, 1941, he was at home, and that his office called him about 9:30 and told him that he was being called by the radio to go to Tripler General Hospital.
     He proceeded to Tripler General Hospital and reported to the surgeon in charge, name unknown. He was informed that they had enough surgeons and for him to go to one of the wards and help clean things up, and to select the proper men to go to surgery and to x-ray.
     He stated that he had nothing to work with on the ward; that Dr. Eugene W. Mitchell came down to his office and got some instruments and a certain amount of drugs, as the only thing they had at Tripler General Hospital was iodine, morphine and tetanus anti-toxin.
     There were no dressings on the ward, and the ward boys [corps men?] and outsiders were tearing up sheets and rolling bandages. When Dr. Mitchell returned he and Dr. Culpepper fixed up a surgery in a small room near their word. They blanketed the windows and hung a blanket around the light in order to reduce any light that might get through. They were left entirely on their own. He stated that an occasional Army surgeon came by and asked if there was anything he could do.
     He stated that they had no plasma at any time, and none was given on his ward while he was there. He stated that most all of the surgery that was done on the ward was the removal of pieces of shrapnel. They had a few compound fractures, and these they arranged to have x-rays. The compound fractures were then sent on to surgery. He took care of no penetrating abdominal wounds. He recalled one man who stated that he had been standing about twenty feet from a two or three foot brick wall, when a small Japanese bomb exploded just on the other side of the wall. The man was completely deaf, complained of pain in his chest, was in shock, and had all his hair blown off. There was no otoscope so Dr. Culpepper could not determine if his ear drums were ruptured. He could not find the cause of the man's complaints. He stated that he put in probably about twenty sutures during the day and took out about fifty; that someone, he didn't know who, had taken of a compound fracture of the arm and had the skin nicely sewed up. He opened up the wound and cleaned it out, implanted some one of the sulfa drugs, and ordered sulfa drugs on this man and every other man on his ward for the first twenty-four hours.
     They continued to do this work until about 7:30, when five or six doctors went down to the supply depot where they were able to get knives, scissors, basins, dressings, bolts of gauze, etc. At 8:00 p.m. he was asked to relieve in the surgery, and he remained in surgery doing the routine work until about 2:30 a.m., when he returned to his ward where he remained till about 7:30 or 8:00 o'clock on the morning of the 8th.
     He stated that three or four chest wounds were brought to the surgery while he was working in surgery, all of which had been well handled, and it was his feeling that they should not have been sent back to surgery. They apparently had been taken care of in the wards.
     Most of the chest wounds had been caused by machine gun bullets rather than shrapnel.
     He mentioned his feeling that it was unnecessary to change these dressings to some Army officers, but they stated that they felt it was better to have them looked at by the surgery and let the surgery take the responsibility.
     In the morning when he went down to go home he found one of his tires flat and was rather provoked, feeling that somebody had let the air out in order to be sure to keep the civilian doctors at the hospital. He was informed that the flat tire was caused by an American machine gun bullet, and when he examined his car he found it had seven holes in it caused by other bullets. This made him feel a bit better. He went home in the morning and returned some time thereafter, asking about the dressings, and was told that the patients were all in good shape, and he never saw them again. Monday evening he came back to stand watch as requested, but was sent home about 11:00 o'clock in the evening in a truck, as he would not drive.
     " I have read the above report of my conversation, and it is true to the best of my knowledge and belief."
     S. Clifton Culpepper, M.D. 
Death of Mother9 Sep 1949 His mother Elizabeth Clayton Gaddy died on 9 Sep 1949 at Redwood City, San Mateo Co., California.7 
Marriage*1963 He married Kazu Jane Yagi in 1963. 
Death of Spouse28 Aug 1978 His wife Lucille Middleton Nason died on 28 Aug 1978 at Gulfport, Harrison Co., Mississippi.8 
Death*14 Jun 1986 He died at Honolulu, Honolulu Co., Hawaii, on 14 Jun 1986 at age 86.8 
Burial* His body was interred at Nuuanu Cemetery, Honolulu, Honolulu Co., Hawaii
Biography* Dr. Sebron Clifton Culpepper was born in Bond, Mississippi, on March 17,1900, the son of Dr. Sebron Clifton and Betty (Gaddy) Culpepper.

He graduated from Clarke Memorial Junior College in 1917, and the University of Mississippi in 1918 with a B.S. degree. He received his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1922 from the University of Pennsylvania. Following his graduation he came to Hawaii and served an internship at The Queen's Hospital from 1922-23. He was licensed to practice in Hawaii in 1922. From 1925-28 he was resident and then Medical Director at Kauikeolani Children's Hospital in Honolulu.

In 1924 he was the physician for Oahu Sugar Co., and in 1925 he was the clinic physician at Honokaa Sugar Co. Dr. Culpepper studied at Mayo Clinic and other medical centers in 1928-29. He was associated with Dr. A. W. Duryea in private practice, and subsequently was in general practice with Dr. Bailey at 1451 S. King St. He was a founding member of the Alsup Clinic.

Dr. Culpepper was a member of the Territorial Board of Health from 1938-39. He was a first lieutenant in the U.S. Naval Reserve. In 1952 he was the Oahu Prison physician. He was on the clinical staff of Queen's, Kuakini, St. Francis and Kauikeolani Children's Hospitals.

He was a member of the Hawaii Territorial Medical Society and held retired member status of the Hawaii Medical Association in June 1967. He was a member of the Honolulu County Medical Society from April 1926 and was made a life member in September 1959 after 35 years of membership. Dr. Culpepper was also a member of the American Medical Association, Honolulu Chamber of Commerce, a founding member of the Waialae Country Club, Sigma Chi, Phi Rho Sigma and Adventurers Club. He was elected a director of the Honolulu Trust Co. on 1961 and reelected in 1963.

He traveled widely. In 1935 he visited hospitals in China, Manchuria, Korea and Japan. Dr. Culpepper made a visit to the Mayo Clinic in November 1941 following a hunting trip to Montana. In an extended trip in January and February 1947, he visited Alaska and numerous cities on the mainland. He spent two months visiting his former home in Mississippi in January and February 1958.

During his college years he was an active participant in varsity baseball at the University of Mississippi, and baseball and basketball at Clarke Memorial Junior College. He played semiprofessional baseball in Mississippi. He played with the Wanderers in Honolulu in 1923. His other interests included skeet shooting, hunting and field trials for hunting dogs. His entries in the field trials placed first and third in the inaugural trial held by the Hawaii State Field Trial Club at Pupukea in April 1959. Dr. Culpepper also enjoyed photography and golfing. In September 1956 he and his partner, Dr. R. Durant, won the team combined medal golf tournament of the Waialae Country Club.

Dr. Culpepper married Lucille Nason of Gulfport, Mississippi, on December 31, 1923. They were subsequently divorced. He later married Jane Kaza Yagi. He had four children: Paul Y., Betty C. Belt of Los Angeles, Lillian J. Randall of Gulfport, Mississippi and Marian C. Stroup of Kailua, Hawaii. At the time of his death he was also survived by twelve grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

Dr. Culpepper died on June 14, 1986, in Honolulu at age 86 years.9
Dr. Sebron Clifton Culpepper

Family 1

Lucille Middleton Nason (23 Nov 1899 - 28 Aug 1978)
Marriage*31 Dec 1923 He married Lucille Middleton Nason at Biloxi, Harrison Co., Mississippi, on 31 Dec 1923 at age 23.5 

Family 2

Kazu Jane Yagi (say 1910 - )
Marriage*1963 He married Kazu Jane Yagi in 1963. 
ChartsJoseph Culpepper of Morgan Co., GA: Descendant Chart
Last Edited17 Feb 2010


  1. E-mail written 1999 to Lew Griffin from Mary Anne Massengale Culpepper (#7843), e-mail address.
  2. 1900 Federal Census, United States.
    ED 36, Page 9A, Family 158, Beat 4, Harrison County, MS
    Sebron Culpepper, Head, Wh, M, April 1870, 30, Md-2 yrs, MS/GA/MS, physician
    Bettie Culpepper, Wife, Wh, F, unknown 1880, 20, Md-2 yrs, ch 1/1, MS/MS/MS
    Clifton Culpepper, Son, Wh, M, March 1900, 3/12, S, MS/MS/MS
    Linda Bedgood, Sis-in-Law (?), Wh, F, unknown 1882, 18, Md-3 yrs, ch 1/1, MS/MS/MS
    J. B. Bedgood, Gson (?), Wh, M, June 1890, 9, S, MS/MS/MS.
  3. 1910 Federal Census, United States.
    ED 47, Sheet 16A, Family 473, Bond, Harrison County, MS
    Sebron C. Culpepper, Head, M, Wh, 39, M1-11 yrs, MS/GA/MS, Physician (#2341)
    Betti Culpepper, Wife, F, Wh, 28, M1-11 yrs, ch 2/2, MS/VA/MS
    Clifton C. Culpepper, Son, M, Wh, 10, S, MS/MS/MS
    Charles V. Culpepper, Daughter, F, Wh, 7, S, MS/MS/MS
    Sallie Culpepper, Mother, F, Wh, 76, Wd, ch 6/6, MS/MS/Scotland.
  4. 1920 Federal Census, United States.
    ED 140, Sheet 26A, Family 552, Wiggins, Stone County, MS (#2773)
    Seaborn C. Culpepper, Head, M, Wh, 46, Md, MS/GA/MS, Physician-General Practice
    Bettie Culpepper, Wife, F. Wh, 39, Md, MS/MS/MS
    S. Clifton Culpepper, Son, M, Wh, 19, S, MS/MS/MS
    Charlie V. Culpepper, Daughter, F, Wh, 17, S, MS/MS/MS.
  5. Hunting For Bears, compiler, Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935, Online database at, 2004.
    S. C. Culpepper and Lucille Nason married 31 Dec 1923 in Stone Co., MS.
  6. 1930 Federal Census, United States.
    ED 2-28, Sheet #2-B, Line 68, 1807 Makiki St., Honolulu, Honolulu, HI  
    Home owned
    Clifton Culpepper, Head, M, 30, M, MS/MS/MS, Doctor, Private Practice
    Lucille Culpepper, Wife, F, 30, M, AL/MS/MS, Not employed
    Betty Culpepper, Dau, F, 4, HI/MS/AL.
  7. State of California Department of Health Services / Center for Health Statistics, compiler, California Death Index, 1940-1997, Online database at, 2000.
  8. U.S. Social Security Administration, compiler, Social Security Death Index (SSDI), Online database at
  9. Mamiya Medical Heritage Center
    Hawaii Medical Library