Culpeper (PC 1240)
WW-II Submarine Chaser
Call sign: November - Charlie - Papa - Lima
PC-461 Class Submarine Chaser:
Laid down, 15 May 1943 by the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp., Morris
Heights, NY; Launched, 26 June 1943; Commissioned USS PC-1240, 13 October
1943; Placed out of commission, in reserve, October 1949 at Norfolk, VA;
Named Culpeper, 1 February 1956; Struck from the Naval Register, 1
April 1959 and sold for scrap.
Specifications: Displacement 280 t.(lt) 450 t.(fl); Length
173' 8"; Beam 23'; Draft 10' 10"; Speed; 22k; Complement 65; Armament one
single 3"/50 gun mount, one 40mm gun mount, two 20mm guns, four depth
charge projectors (K-guns), two depth charge tracks, two rocket launchers;
Propulsion two Hooven-Owen-Rentschler R-99DA diesel engines (Serial No.
7051 & 7052), two shafts.
Origin of Name: Unknown, but given the 2-p
spelling, it most likely was named for
the Culpeper Minutemen
of the Revolutionary War or for
02 Jan 2015