Culpepers at St. Margaret's
Wichling (pronounced "Which-ling"
and sometimes spelled Wychling, Witchling or Wickling) is a hamlet,
4-5 miles northeast of the Culpeper-significant villages of
Hollingbourne, Harrietsham and Lenham.
William Culpeper12w was presented as Vicar at Wichling
He was licensed to marry 29 Apr 1633,
as 'William Culpeper clerk, M. A., parson of Wychling, bach. about
28, to Margaret, dau. of the worshipful Richard Allen, D.D., parson of
Fairfax Harrison, in The
Proprietors of the Northern Neck, stated his belief that William
was the son of Edmund Culpeper11w, Canon of Lincoln.
William subsequently emigrated to
Barbados and is the progenitor of the Barbados
Culpepers and the South African Colepepers.
St. Margaret's Church, Wichling
Location: 20 miles NE of
National Grid Coordinates:
TQ 916 557
1831 Topographical Dictionary
WITCHLING, a parish in the hundred of EYHORNE, lathe
of AYLESFORD, county of KENT, 2½ miles (N.N.E.) from Lenham, containing
137 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry
and diocese of Canterbury, rated in the king's books at £4. 1. 8.,
endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in
the patronage of Thos. W. Wrighte, Esq. The church is dedicated to St.