Hadlow, Kent
Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About
 

Hadlow, Kent, England

Oxen Hoath Manor (Oxen Hoath)

See separate page

Fromans Manor

Fromans, alias Goodwis, is a manor in Hadlow which was formerly called, more properly, Fromonds, from a family of that name, once possessors of it. Simon Fromond owned it as early as 1258, It continued in the Fromond family until Richard Fromond sold it to one in the family of Culpeper, in whose descendants it continued until Sir Richard Culpeper9a of Oxen Hoath, prior to his death in 1484, sold it back to the Fromond family. (Hasted's Kent, Vol. 5, pp 183-184.)

Location: Unknown.

Goldwell Manor

Goldwell Manor was sold by the Fromonds to the Culpeppers in which family it continued until 1484 when Sir Richard Culpeper9a of Oxen Hoath died with no sons. Goldwell then passed to Richard's three daughters: (1) Margaret Culpeper, wife of William Cotton of Oxen Hoath; (2) Joyce Culpeper, wife of Edmund Lord Howard (one of their daughters was Catherine Howard, fifth wife of Henry VIII); and (3) Elizabeth Culpeper, wife of Henry Barham, Esq. In the division of their inheritance, Goldwell was allotted to Margaret, and afterwards passed to her grandson, Robert Cotton, Esq., of Hadlow. (Hasted's Kent, Vol. 5, pp 185-186.)

Location: Unknown.

Peckhams Manor

John de Peckham, in 1314, "held this manor of the honor of Clare by knight's service," and in his descendants it continued until it was sold to the Culpepers, in whose name it was held until the death of Sir Richard Culpeper9a of Oxen Hoath. Along with Goldwell, above, it subsequently passed from the Culpepers to the Cottons. (Hasted's Kent, Vol. 5, pp 187.)

Location: Unknown.

St. Mary's Church, Hadlow

Ancient Parish
Original registers from 1558.

No evidence of Culpepper involvement in this parish has been found, but the Culpepers were out of the area before the date of the earliest extant parish registers.

Location: Off the SE side of the A26 in the middle of Hadlow.
National Grid Coordinates: TQ 634 497

Hadlow, Kent

Hadlow lies in the Medway Valley within easy reach of Tonbridge. It is an attractive village with a wide main street and a number of old houses in the center. These, however, are dwarfed by the main feature of Hadlow, a curiosity known as Hadlow Tower, or May's Folly. This 170 foot high tower is all that remains of Hadlow Castle, which an eccentric industrialist named Walter Barton May had built at the end of the 18th century. The folly is aptly named on two counts. First it represents the typical "Gothick" style of architecture so dear in the romantic era, when defiantly non-utilitarian follies were the rage. Second, it was reputedly built so that May could have a view as far as the Channel, but the intervening South Downs make this impossible.

Source: Sean Connolly, Ed., "Hadlow", The Hidden Places of Kent, Travel Publishing, Ltd., 1998., pages 85.

Location: On the A26, 9 miles SW of Maidstone, and 10 miles NW of Goudhurst
National Grid Coordinates: TQ 632 500

1831 Topographical Dictionary:
HADLOW, a parish in the lowey of TONBRIDGE, lathe of AYLESFORD, county of KENT, 3 miles (N.E.) from Tonbridge, containing 1757 inhabitants. The church is a low structure dedicated to St. Mary. This is an extensive parish, in which there are several hop plantations and good pasture lands. It is crossed by the river Sheet, which joins the navigable river Medway a little above Brandt bridge. At Hurlake Bolt is a flowing bolt by which, in dry seasons, the meadows can be irrigated, this plan being found highly advantageous.

Also See: West Peckham, Wrotham, Dukes Place, Oxen Hoath and Old Soar

Last Revised: 02 Jan 2015

 

 
 Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About

Culpepper Connections! The Culpepper Family History Site