Broomfield, Kent
Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About
 

St. Margaret Church, Broomfield (aka Bromfield), co. Kent

Leeds Castle, one of the more important seats of the Kentish Culpepers in the 17th century, is in the middle of a triangle formed by Broomfield Hollingbourne and Leeds, and is roughly equidistant from them.

In the late 18th century, Kentish historian Hasted wrote (History of Kent, 1793, Volume II, pages 484, 486):

St. Margarets's Church, Broomfield, co. Kent

Photograph by Keith Pearce, 2003

Bromfield was originally a parish, served by a religious of the priory of Leeds. The boundaries, practically limited to the lands held of Leeds Castle, have been maintained; but since the dissolution of the priory the church has been annexed to the rectory and church of the adjacent Leeds parish which was erected within the priory lands. As a consequence, Bromfield now ranks as a chapel. Vested by Queen Elizabeth in the Archbishop of Canterbury, the advowson of Leeds and Bromfield has since been held by that prelate, who collates a perpetual curate.

Fairfax Harrison, in his 1926 treatise, The Proprietors of the Northern Neck, says:

Catherine Culpeper, Lady Fairfax, had all her children baptized in Bromfield chapel and later built there a family vault where she buried her mother, and was herself interred, as were a number of her descendants. The Bromfield register thus became a genealogical source record for the last generation of the proprietors of the Northern Neck. For these considerations the Virginia Assembly gave the name Bromfield to the parish created in Culpeper (VA) in 1752 (Hening, Vi, 256)

St. Margaret's Grid Coordinates: TQ 840 525

Broomfield, Kent

1831 Topographical Dictionary
Broomfield, a parish in the hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, county of Kent, 6 miles ESE from Maidstone, containing 115 inhabitants... The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. On the southern side of the parish extends a tract of woodland, called King's Wood, and within its limits there is a rabbit-warren.

Location: 6 miles ESE of Maidstone and 12 miles NE of Goudhurst. On Broomfield Road, .5 miles S of the A-20 and 1 mile SW of Exit 8 of the M-20

National Grid Coordinates: TQ 840 525
 

Also See

bullet

All Saints Church, Hollingbourne

bullet

Leeds Castle (Culpepper Connections)

bullet

Leeds Castle (Their own web site)

Last Revised: 02 Jan 2015

 

 
 Home Up Master Index DNA Search Sending Info About

Culpepper Connections! The Culpepper Family History Site